Decorating Your Classroom on a TIGHT Budget!

Let’s get real. It is a fact that teachers spend a ton of their own money on their classrooms. It can especially get expensive at the beginning of a new school year when you want to make your classroom look like the beautiful Pinterest-ready classrooms you’ve been pinning and saving to your classroom décor board.

Decorate your elementary classroom using colors and more low budget ideas.


While having a theme in your classroom makes an otherwise plain room look cohesive and beautiful, it can easily take a large chunk of money, so I want to share with you how you can create a beautiful classroom on a budget.

If you have already chosen a theme for your classroom, select 2-3 colors that compliment your theme.


Select 2-3 colors to compliment your classroom theme.


The colors can be highlighted throughout your classroom.

An even better solution to a beautiful classroom is using mostly colors instead of a specific theme. It will be much friendlier to your budget!

Here are some ideas to find inexpensive items for your classroom.

Visit yard sales both in person and online during the summer. If you have a couple of colors you are focused on, you will easily find things both expected and unexpected that will match your classroom.

• Other places to visit might be Facebook Market Place and thrift stores.

• Make a post on social media asking if anyone has anything to donate to your classroom. You will be amazed at the people who have things to give away. Some of the things I have gotten for my classroom by simply asking are lamps, pillows, furniture, school supplies, baskets for storage, stuffed animals for reading buddies, board games, and so much more!

Visit yardsales to find things for the classroom.


When I moved to a flexible seating classroom, I changed my entire room with very little money. For more information,  to find out a few more ways how I saved money.

If you are feeling super brave and plan on using flexible seating, you might like to also read these two blog posts.


Doors and Bulletin Boards

One last area to consider for your classroom is how to decorate your bulletin boards and your classroom door.

Use fabric on bulletin boards and doors in the classroom.


• Using material to cover your bulletin boards will last all year and can be reused from year to year. In addition, you can find colors to compliment the rest of your room and add a plain border to enhance the board.

• Cut out shapes from bright copy paper and write your students' names on them. Unless you plan on using them longer than the first few weeks, save time and don’t laminate. Add this “” freebie, and your door will be bright and beautiful.

• These easy-to-make bulletin board dots will add function and color all around your classroom! 


Decorate your elementary classroom using colors and more low budget ideas.


 I hope you found some nuggets to help you as you plan out your classroom. That's my...

31 comments:

  1. After 20+ years, my theme has become “I have all this stuff that doesn’t really match so let’s put it on a black background” 😜 but I absolutely second using fabric- and cheap flat sheets are a cheap way to get a big piece of fabric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, fabric keeps its color and is more sturdy! I also try to keep a few themes in rotation so I’m not buying every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's one of the best things to do.

      Delete
  3. I love FB buy nothing group as a way to find free things for my classroom. I also am keeping it simple with a neutral theme and pops of color from things I already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I hope you got some real gems!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the great ideas! It’s easy to judge yourself against Pinterest and other teachers. Thanks for reminder that simple is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Pinterest can suck the joy right out if you're not careful!

      Delete
  5. These are great suggestions! Thank you! It’s easy to get caught up in the comparison game, but a few simple colors and decorations can go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am using material on my bulletin board this year! So much better than paper! I LOVE the bulletin board dots to add pops of color! I am thinking I will use them in various places! Thank you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad you love the bulletin board dots!

      Delete
  7. I haven't used fabric on bulletin boards before! This is something I definitely need to try as I need something that will last and not rip throughout the year.
    I also like finding items at the thrifts store. I've made some great finds there.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love using fabric. Bedsheets work really well also!

      Delete
  8. My biggest decorating challenge is hanging things up in a straight line! I do love yard sales to get new books but maybe I'll look for decorations, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purposely do all of mine on angles for that very reason! haha

      Delete
  9. Thanks for all the great ideas! As a first year teacher, funding is extremely limited. I am going to do several of these things to create a welcoming room for my students! Thanks again for the information and freebies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your first year of teaching. I hope you have a MARVELOUS year!

      Delete
  10. I used plastic tablecloths (like for parties) but definitely like the idea of cloth better! I also use basic colors and then just change borders if time permits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used plastic tablecloths before also, but they tore easily when removing staples. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I use cloth for my bulletin boards and it can be used year after year. I also shop the clearance sales and you can find some good deals for the accents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The last few years I've picked a "theme" that revolved around something I will be doing that year (lemons and we read Lemonade War at the end of the year, owls and we had a guest speaker from our local ranger department and dissected owl pellets, etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea and I love the book Lemonade Wars!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the great ideas! I love using eBay to find classroom deals!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great place to find things for the classroom is dollar stores. I found great paper pompous to decorate with for $1,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love dollar stores for school decorations!

      Delete
  15. Hi, I am teaching early childhood special ed. I will be using colors red and black and dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like Georgia Bulldog colors! LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also love to use fabric. It's a little bit of a pain to keep wrinkle free, but I have been able to move classrooms and use the same stuff. A quick was when you are ready to change your room around and a minute of iron time, and you are set!

    ReplyDelete