Math Centers that Are Easy to Plan, Organize, and Prepare

Are you looking for centers that are easy to plan, organize, and prepare?  

Keep reading to find math centers you can use all year in your classroom.  

Your life is about to get so much easier!




Choosing to keep the same centers all year long will lessen the amount of time you are spending to get the centers ready for students.  

Here are five centers to use in your classroom all year long.

1)  Technology

Use the technology that is available to you.  Whether this is a group of computers in your classrooms, a class set of Chromebooks or iPads, or something else, there is always a choice of things to use in this center.  You can use digital task cards or interactive games for students to practice current math skills or to review past math skills.

2)  Working with Numbers

This unit will work with any activity that involves numbers.  Include math games, activities, or worksheets in this center.  Using one of the No Prep math activities in this unit makes it super easy to prepare!

Super easy to prepare math games and activities to work with numbers

3)  Fact Fluency

It doesn't matter what grade level you teach, there is always fact fluency students need to practice.  Addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division need practice daily for students to become fluent.  Having a dedicated center will help students accomplish that goal, and it builds a foundation for everything else.  Games such as Bump, worksheets manipulatives, and other activities are good choices to add to this center all year.


4)  Writing/Word Work

This math center is the perfect place to add some writing aspects to your math routine.  Students can write the steps to tell how to solve math problems, complete word problems, practice writing numbers, do constructed math problems, and more.  Writing is important for math, so make sure that you include it.

This math center is the perfect way to incorporate math with writing


5)  Math Games

Students love games.  I feel strongly about using games to learn.  Adding a play factor always helps students improve while they enjoy the activity.  Add board games that are already in your classroom.  Search the Internet for fun math games using a deck of playing cards.  Add math task cards to a Candy Land board, and watch how excited your students are to play.  
Math task cards can help learning fun and exciting








See more:






How do math centers look in your classroom?  Are they working for you?  Leave a comment below and tell me.





Helping you find simple solutions to big problems and lighten your load is just...



21 comments:

  1. I love incorporating games and technology into my teaching especially after this past year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie,
      I agree. It's so great for students who love technology and playing games! Thanks for stopping by and reading this post!

      Warm regards,
      Cynthia

      Delete
  2. How do you differentiate the content in each center?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,
      There are so many ways I use differentiation in my classroom. You can always differentiate by the number of questions/activities, by allowing students to work together, etc.
      Another idea is that you can first use the activity in a needs-based group with students that need more support before completing the activity in a center. This gives the student(s) confidence of how to complete.
      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Cynthia

      Delete
  3. I use math centers so students can practice learned skills in fun ways while I work with small groups or individuals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela,
      That is exactly how math centers always functioned in my classroom as well. It's the perfect opportunity for filling in learning games and working with students who are struggling and need intervention.

      I hope math centers and your school year go great this year!

      Best,
      Cynthia

      Delete
  4. I agree that math games are important for students. I like the idea of keeping the centers the same so that it is easy prep and the students know what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my gosh, Julia, when I started keeping the centers the same for the entire year, it was like I had "found" all kinds of extra time in my day. It was a real "DUH!" moment for me! lol

      Thanks for taking time to read this post. I hope you find other posts that are beneficial for you as well.

      Warm regards,
      Cynthia

      Delete
  5. Thank you! Great ideas! Just the inspiration I needed for back-to-school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for taking time to read! I'm glad you are inspired for back-to-school!

      Delete
  6. I loved using math centers in my classroom. I did it in a rotation setting, where I had 5 centers and they students rotated through them all. I facilitated the most difficult station, and was able to discuss and teach each small group as the rotated through. I usually set aside two days for this to make sure each student was able to successfully finish each center. My themes for each center is similar to the suggestions in this post. I used games, review, logic, technology, and a teach center. I had fast finisher activities for those who finished the rotation early. It is definitely one of the best strategies to use. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you had a good routine down also. Having a daily/weekly routine is definitely key to having successful math centers.

      Thanks so much for sharing how things worked in your classroom. I love hearing about other successful ideas!

      Warm regards,
      Cynthia

      Delete
  7. These are a great resource to have for centers! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kiran. I hope you found some information to help you with your own math centers.

      Blessings,
      Cynthia

      Delete
  8. These are all great ideas to keep kids engaged and moving! My biggest struggle is that kids want to stay at the station they are at, rather than moving on. I'm always tempted to say yes (b/c I love that they are having fun and enjoying the learning process), but then it causes a "traffic jam" for the next group of kids coming in. Anyone else run into these issues? P.S. I love using board games, too! Over the years I've been able to find multiple of the same game at garage sales! So much fun!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara,

      I used to have this same issue when I tried to have students complete more than one math center in a day. Once I changed to only one center, the students had more time to complete (without rushing through) and the traffic jam was eliminated.

      Garage sales for games are definitely a win!!

      Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate your comment!

      Warm regards,
      Cynthia

      Delete
  9. I no longer teach math, but when I did, centers were my (and students’) favorite part of class! Math is so frequently seen as intimidating…Centers like games and sorts help fix that! When I taught 6th grade math, which focuses a lot on introductory algebra (which they were terrified of), I made it my #1 priority to build their confidence…They’ve been doing “algebra” for years without realizing it! Centers and games are the best way to build that confidence...They make learning FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Brooke! Centers are an excellent way to build confidence. Especially with those students who automatically think they hate math or that they are not good at math. Centers are also a huge help with those reluctant students. Keeping students engaged in the classroom is key!

      Loved hearing from you!

      Thanks,
      Cynthia

      Delete
  10. I am excited to use these for homeschooling my kids this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, Dana! I'm excited to know that you will be using these math center activities for homeschooling. The print and go option makes them a perfect choice! I hope you and your children enjoy them!

    Thank you,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. My special ed "littles" love to play games & don't seem to realize that the math games reinforce their learning of basic math facts. BUMP games are a particular favorite! We also play many math games on our Promethean ActivBoard & on the day we check out the school's laptop cart.

    ReplyDelete