How Centers Transformed My Fourth Grade Classroom.

There was never a time when I didn't use centers.  Using centers in the classroom made sense to me from pre-k to kindergarten and then on to first and finally second grades.  There were so many benefits to using centers in the classroom!  One day, my principal then told me that she was moving me to fourth grade.  WH-A-A-A-A-T??????




I was very happy and content in the primary grades.  I had plenty of reasons to try and convince her that I didn't belong in upper elementary.  
  • I rarely used worksheets.
  • I taught whole lessons that were short and to the point.
  • I taught to my students' needs in small groups.
  • I used centers All. Day. Long!!
(I thought for sure that the last one would change her mind!!)

She just smiled at me and said, "That's EXACTLY why I am moving you!  I want the fourth graders to have just as much fun as your second grade students do!"

I spent the summer worrying. HOW could I replicate what I had always done in the lower grades for older students?

It turned out that it wasn't hard at all.

In fact, it was magical!

Grab FREE math and literacy centers by clicking HERE!

Examples of the math and literacy centers


No Prep Centers

I don't enjoy spending tons of time planning and writing lesson plans for someone else.  Teachers know what we are doing, right?

I studied the standards for 4th grade in both math and literacy and created a curriculum map and planned out my year.  (YES!  I loosely planned the entire year, and it saved me SO. MUCH. TIME!)

After I had my lesson plan calendar for the entire year in hand, I created centers that I could just print and go.

No prep divisibility cards



The students loved them, and they were sooooooo easy for me!

I planned out five literacy stations and five math stations I would use each week ALL YEAR LONG!

Instead of constantly coming up with new centers, I only had to change the activities.

It was SO easy!!  

Daily Math Spirals

Each day before our daily focus in math, we completed five questions in a spiral.  These five questions covered the five big domains in Common Core.  By focusing on just these five, students were getting a review, present learning, and a preview of things to come.

Daily math spirals



By adding the preview component, I was able to do a mini lesson on the same standard/concept for 20 days.  By the time we actually reached that concept in our curriculum map, the students had been exposed to it so many times that it was a breeze to tighten down the learning!

I projected this math spiral on my big screen at the beginning of math class, and students completed the questions in a spiral notebook.  Again, there was no prep on my part with BIG results for the students.

We kept it fresh by sometimes working through the questions as a whole group, in small groups, with partners, or independently.

It was easy for me to print one page of questions and use in small groups when needed.

Using the daily math spirals allowed me to add a variety of activities to my math centers because I knew the students had already had exposure to the concepts.

You can find daily math spirals in my TpT store for second grade, third grade, and fourth grade.  

Centers, Centers, Centers

Instead of planning elaborate centers, I kept things very easy.  I used my NO PREP math centers and my NO PREP literacy centers and then filled in with things I already had in my classroom!

When the school became 1:1 in technology with Chromebooks, I added digital activities to the mix.

Digital activities for students. Shows the digital centers



My classroom was mostly a full day of centers.

For early finishers, I had them go to a center activity.

For small groups,  I pulled a center activity that students had already used from my no prep activities or they played a game that was used during center time.

For whole group, I used a center activity for the entire class as a teaching tool.  Turn it into a game, and change the entire dynamics!

These center activities were an important part of our day.

The Magic of Centers

There are so many benefits to using math and literacy centers during center time and throughout the day in many different ways!

No Prep Literacy Activities



1)  I was able to quickly utilize planning and writing in lesson plans.
2)  I wasn't constantly searching for new material to use.  I used the same activities over and over in my classroom.
3)  The center activities could be used over and over throughout the year in many different ways!
4)  While students were enjoying and learning during center time, I was able to fill in the gaps by utilizing small group teaching. 

Do you want to try out a few NO PREP math and literacy centers?  Click here to grab a few samples for FREE!




If you aren't using centers and center activities, you are missing out on one of the most fun and effective ways to teach and learn in your classroom!




If you want to return to this post later, just save this pin!

How to use centers pin



Using centers is just...



24 comments:

  1. I love that your principal moved you to 4th as they were correct; 4th grade students need to have fun learning just as much as the little ones! As a sped co-teacher the fun engaging stuff is what helps kiddos remember the most!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly ended up being a blessing for me! I loved ending my thirty year career in fourth grade for the last several years!

      Delete
  2. My students definitely look forward to centers. We do math centers weekly, and it’s always one of their favorite days of the week. I also use something similar with the spiraling review - it’s such a good way for them to continue practicing skills all year long so they don’t forget anything when it’s time for testing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, students truly love centers. I'm so glad your students enjoy it also. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of planning the whole year out ahead of time. I was just wondering what “loosely” meant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I "loosely" planned out my year by knowing what concepts, themes, etc. that I would be teaching each month and week. I did not plan out the day-to-day details until I did my monthly planning.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this post so much! I've recently encouraged teachers in grades 5-8 at my school to incorporate centers/stations as part of their classroom intervention, and it's already made a difference in how engaged their students are - after only 10 days! Kudos to you for embracing the move to 4th and bringing in the "fun stuff" for the older students!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely am a believer in centers for ALL grades and ages after trying it myself. I'm so glad that the teachers in your school are embracing it also. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I love this blog post and I love using centers! I especially liked your idea of making a center a game when you want to use it for whole group. So simple, I don’t know why I never thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Games have always been an absolute favorite of mine. Even the most reluctant students are willing to engage if it is a game! :)

      Delete
  6. I definitely agree that all students can benefit from centers!
    My first teaching position was at an alternative school. I was teaching high school and middle school social studies, but had mixed-grade classes. I had to incorporate three different curricula into one one-hour class! I used centers to differentiate my instruction and to provide a rotating structure so that I could spend adequate time with each group of students. One group might be working on vocabulary, another watching a video, and yet another having a guided discussion about the material. It was challenging to teach such different topics in one class, but centers definitely made it easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kudos to you Natasha. It sounds like it was very successful. I have always found that centers make things easier, not harder for sure!

      Delete
  7. I love using centers for reading and language but still struggle to implement them as smoothly for math. I think I will incorporate them more beginning one day a week - religiously, and go from there. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You can use the same structure for math centers. This blog post might be of help to you. https://mykindofteaching.blogspot.com/2021/06/math-centers-that-are-easy-to-plan.html

      Delete
  8. I teach first and LOVE centers. I do a balance of sheets and centers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Centers are perfect for first graders! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. I love teaching small groups with centers. I just switched to a new school in a new grade with new curriculum. The hardest part is finding low-cost, minimal prep, and engaging activities for all my ability levels. I have students with skills ranging from Kinder to 3rd grade, as well as English Learners with minimal English knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard when you teach different levels. Centers really helps with the differentiation.

      Delete
  10. 4th was my FAVORITE grade to do centers. I feel like they're not quite upper and not quite lower elementary and they get lost in the shuffle. They still love hands on learning, and you can do so much with centers because they're more independent. Thanks for highlighting this awesome grade!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Centers is an amazing time for me to work with individual students while the rest practice the skills we have been working on either through a digital device or a write and wipe sheet for reusable worksheets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous reply is by Peggy, 1st grade teacher in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  13. Centers are awsome! Great for fast finishers and allows me extra time with students who reallly need it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am Kathy. I currently teach second grade. I have been teaching for 33 years and have used centers a lot over the years. Centers are great for reviewing what students have learned. Students have a lot of fun with centers. Many times they are learning, but don't realize that they are learning. Centers are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete