Thursday, September 19, 2013

A Whole Lot of Multiplication, Some Growing Up, and a Love of Cereal Boxes

It's time to be real...

I. am. so. tired!!!

That is all...

The down and dirty!

Can you relate??  (haha...  I'm talking to the choir, right??)

I am so enjoying my move to 4th grade.  I'm not sure if it's the schedule (specials at 8:15 and I don't have another break until recess at 2:10... Yep, just realized 6 straight hours, NO WONDER), the move to a new grade which also means new curriculum to learn, the resignation of our principal, the firing of our superintendent, or just the fact that I'm getting old (CERTAINLY, not blaming it on the last one!  HA).

It seems it's Monday morning and the next thing I know, it's Thursday afternoon.  I barely get planned for one-week and it's time for the next.  At this rate, summer vacation will be here before I know it!  :-)

We've been working hard on multiplication.


We made these lap books from my Multiplication Unit.

Under the property flaps, the students wrote the definition.  On the opposite side, they showed an example equation.  When this is lifted, they drew an illustration to match.

Here is the front cover.  The pocket will hold the multiplication facts they need to practice.

Inside the book, is a multiplication table the student completed and the multiplication strategies for the facts 2-9.

A closer view.

When all the flaps are lifted, the multiplication strategy is revealed.

 We started the year in reading, with my Judy Moody Was In a Mood book study.  
Here is what they want to be when they grow up.  I was really surprised at the different type of answers given in 4th.  A FBI agent, horse jockey, olympic swimmer, cell phone tower climber, were just a few of the more interesting ones.  We did mini-research projects and wrote about the jobs.  Some of those had to be done on line.  We certainly don't have all of those topics in our library.

After we finished that unit (just shy of 3 weeks), we spent a couple of days doing one of my favorite activities...

My student always have such a good time doing this unit.
It is a FREEBIE in my store if you are not one of the 36,198 people that have already downloaded, stop by and get it for your own class.  Just add cereal boxes!!!

I LOVE showing the students that you can read ANYTHING, even a cereal box, because that's just


2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS ACTIVITY!!!! Perfect for real world application!! Truly impressive.. Thanks for sharing. I am glad I found you via the World Gratitude Day Link!!

    Susan

    LopezLandLearners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your multiplication lap book. Thanks for sharing the read the cereal box idea. I'll be back for more of your good ideas. :)

    Tammi
    The Balanced Classroom

    ReplyDelete